Fraunhofer Group for Defense and Security
Secured Aavailability of Strategic Components
Fraunhofer IAF is one of the few research facilities world-wide which have mastered the entire value chain in the field of III-V compound semiconductors and synthetic diamond on the highest international level. The institute features a clean room with cutting edge semiconductor process technology as well as outstanding metrology equipment. In combination with highly qualified personnel and long-term experience, this enables IAF to develop state of the art devices, circuits, modules and systems. In general, the R&D results are transferred to industrial companies for mass production. IAF accompanies its industrial partners in the continuous development of the technology. If small production numbers make it difficult to find an industrial partner, the institute is also able to provide its customers with high quality small series. Regarding the ITAR regulations, this is of crucial importance. Components for the civil market, too, are affected by restrictions if dual-use potential can be implied. Therefore, IAF significantly contributes to ensuring the availability of strategic, semiconductor-based components for national and European industry.
Some examples for the successful transfer of our research results into products:
- Radar sensors which support helicopter pilots during dangerous landing operations under brownout or whiteout conditions,
- fast-switching protective filters which guard infrared sensors against blinding sunlight and direct optical countermeasures,
- imaging dual-color infrared sensors which warn aircrafts against approaching missiles
- optical systems for stand-off detection of smallest traces of explosives on surfaces,
- imaging millimeter-wave systems which detect concealed weapons and
- novel miniaturized sensors which detect hazardous substances in water and in air.
R&D work at Fraunhofer IAF is certified according to ISO 9001:2008.